Summary: Leaders are decision makers whom others willingly follow. In On-Purpose terms, leadership development begins with personal leadership development and radiates to leadership of others. There’s a predictable path for healthy leadership development, and the starting point is purpose — knowing one’s life has inherent meaning and a purpose.
One of the powerful benefits of finding one’s purpose is to distinguish personal identity from the unhealthy placement of one’s identity in work. When work is a person’s source of identity, far too often derailing patterns of behavior are sure to follow, including the possibility of ethical compromise.
ONPURPOSE.me puts purpose in place for your leadership training. The rest of your training is now built on bedrock versus sand. By knowing their 2-word purpose — the deep seed planted in the heart of every person to excel — participants grow in their capacity to power up and improve their leadership promise and potential. It’s that good!
True leaders, even those with distinct character flaws and clear weaknesses, are authentically committed to serving the common good while not compromising who they are. Yet, if a person doesn’t know who they are, where they’re going, how to get where they’re going, and what’s important in their life (Purpose, Vision, Missions, and Values, respectively), then their leadership capacity is perilously weakened and disadvantaged. A 2-word purpose jump-starts the engine of leadership development and incomparably energizes your program learner objectives and outcomes.
Target Audience Training Application: Below is intellectual context for applying and integrating ONPURPOSE.me into your Leadership Development training program.
What ONPURPOSE.me provides for:
- Frontline Team Members: ONPURPOSE.me taps into intrinsic motivation. Every organization needs team members across the company who take ownership and leadership of their position. ONPURPOSE.me opens the door to personal leadership development and the realization of personal possibilities otherwise unforeseen.
- Rising Leaders: Give those with youth and promise the early advantage of knowing their purpose in life so they can meaningfully connect who they are to their leadership style and context of service.
- Leaders: The era of the “boss” as the ultimate authority who barks out commands to his or her minions is over. Servant leaders provide direction, decisions, and guidance while measuring their effectiveness through the success of others. Purpose inspires and informs the servant leader at the deepest level.
- Executive Leaders: The currency of Executive Leaders — their decisions about strategy, planning, investment, and people — is based on their education, experience, background, and instinct. In short, they are the creators and keepers of corporate culture. If they don’t know who they are (their purpose), then they and the entire organization they lead are severely disadvantaged and paying an extraordinarily high price.
Resources: Below are On-Purpose resources from which you can draw thoughts, inspiration, and insights as you prepare your leadership training program.
- Am I a Natural Born Leader? This one-and-a-half-minute video is packed with powerful insights and encouragement to help each person realize their inherent leadership capacity.
- Use the video at the top of this webpage as a part of your leadership development promotional effort.
- The On-Purpose Person: Making Your Life Make Sense. This best-selling book provides a personal leadership operating system that meets people wherever they are in their leadership progression and equips them to move to the next level. It’s a simple, repeatable process they’ll never outgrow. Being On-Purpose has immediate application and a lifetime of learning.
- FIT 4 Leading: Discover the Joy of Taking a Hard Look at Yourself. FIT 4 Leading is a concise message about leadership, especially personal leadership. This “how to” book helps the reader identify and create strategies to overcome the top four obstacles to personal leadership development and success.
- Chief Leadership Officer: Increasing Wealth So Everyone Profits. This message is for those who are already in positions of leadership of others, especially in businesses.
Need further help customizing and integrating ONPURPOSE.me and your training objectives and outcomes? Join a live On-Purpose Presenter–only video conference call to ask questions or invest in a one-hour consultation. We’ll help you better connect the dots of the ONPURPOSE.me module to your program and learner outcomes.